At Community Place in Jackson, Mississippi we approach Eldercare holistically, aiming to meet the physical, mental, spiritual and social needs of our Elders. Originally founded as Community Hospital in 1932, today Community Place serves Elders in the Metro Jackson area as a single-standing, Nonprofit, skilled nursing home. We are uniquely managed in-house, with guidance of a volunteer board, rather than by an owner or management company. We operate on funds provided by Medicare, Medicaid, private funds and donations.
We're proud to be a member of the Eden Alternative Registry, an organization dedicated to changing the culture within today's health care institutions so that the process of aging can be a continued stage of development and growth, rather than a period of decline. Learn more about Eden Alternative at www.edenalt.org.Back to Top
Community Place Officers
Chuck Morris, Chairman of the Board
Lena Causey, Vice-Chairman of the Board
Jim Archer, Secretary
Brad McMullan, Treasurer
Board of Directors
(Back Row, L to R) Howard Boone, Jr., Retired Executive, Life Member; Derwood Boyles, Boyles Moak Insurance/Account Executive, Life Member; Gene Wilkinson, Stennet Wilkinson & Peden, Legal Counsel; Murphy Adkins, Manager, Crestview Memorial Gardens; Brad McMullan, CEO of bfac.com and TextingLeader.com; Janice McGee, Nursing Administrator, Retired; James Robertson, Retired Educator; Sonny Steel, President, Mars and Steel Awards.
(Front Row, L to R) Tonya Gillespie, CEO/Administrator of Community Place; Helen Napier, Retired Administrator, Dept. of Banking and Consumer Finance, State of Mississippi; Chuck Morris, Executive Vice-President, Mississippi Home Corporation, Life Member; Lena Causey, Business Manager, Mississippi Magazine, Life Member; Jim Archer, CEO Jackson Paper, Retired, Life Member; Howard Jenkins, Life Member Emeritus.
Not Pictured: Pete Mapp, Retired Executive; David Morrow, Attorney and Owner, Morrow Law Firm, PLLC; Harold Neal, Owner, Upton-Neal Interiors, Inc., Carpet One Flooring & Home; Herb Robertson, Life Member; Bill Seabrook, Ex-Officio Life Member.Back to Top
Award Winning Team
Our team meets all requirements of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid and the MS Department of Health and adheres to our own extremely high expectations. We are well respected for our quality of care by both agencies, as well as our industry peers.
- 5 Star Honor- We were awarded the 5 Star overall rating in January 2010. The only 5 star in Jackson, MS.
- Award-Winning. We have an active and award-wining volunteer staff, whose member has received Volunteer of the Year for 2002, and the President’s Award for 2004 by the Mississippi Health Care Association. In 2003, we received a grant from the Community Foundation for Greater Jackson for pet therapy and our parrot, Jackson, is quite the entertainer. In 2009, we had two elders win an art contest, placing their work in the Mississippi Health Care Association Foundation’s 2010 Calendar! In 2009, we received a grant from the Mississippi Health Care Association Foundation for an elder to utilize horse therapy to combat his Multiple Sclerosis. He has grown in many ways through his therapy. In 2009, we had a family leader (C.N.A.) win a state-wide competition for CNA of the year through the Mississippi Health Care Association
- We were placed on the Eden Alternative Registry in 2008. We are only one of 14 nursing homes and assisted living centers with this honor in our state. See www.edenalt.org.
- Low Turnover. Our team members have low turnover and we believe in team building and peer accountability.
- Fully Equipped. Our staff includes a Certified Medical Director, a Licensed Administrator, a Director of Nursing, and a Certified Food Service Manager with a Registered Dietician Consultant, a Director of Social Services, a Certified Activity Director, In-House Therapy Consultants (OT, PT, and ST), Environmental Services Director, a Pharmacy Consultant and an RN Consultant.
Unlike many homes, we provide services FREE of CHARGE to families, including:
- Elder Phone Line
- Salon Services (which includes shampoos, cuts styles, perms, manicures, etc.)
- Under pads and Incontinent Briefs
- Over the Counter Drugs
- Flat Screen TVs in ALL Bedrooms
- Presto E-mail Receiver
- Wireless Internet throughout home
Our office staff assists families with financial management of their loved one’s assets:
- Medicaid Applications
- Social Security Check Payments
- Medicaid Rates
- VA Eligibility Applications and Payments
- Medicaid Re-Determination Forms
- Pre-need Funeral Payments
- Insurance Payments
- “Spend Down” Towards Medicaid Eligibility
Services, Highlights and Activities
We provide a home-like atmosphere including an air conditioned/ enclosed porch, a living room with a big screen television, a visitation room, a large dining/activity room. Our southern buffet-style meals honor elders’ choices. These meals are served in our spacious dining room overlooking our beautiful grounds.
Other areas of interest include:
- Garden Therapy- 3 garden areas are cared for by our elders
- Pets - Elders have pets, as decided by elder/staff pet committee
- Child Therapy- Daycare and school visits spread joy and laughter in our home.
- Activities are held throughout the day with group and one-on-one events which include spontaneous activities that offer a fun atmosphere to eliminate boredom.
- Wide variety of group and individualized activities: Wii, Senior T.V., Motorized Model Cars, Inspirational Videos, IN2L© computer program, Books-on-Tape, E-mail, Video Reading Machine and much more!
- Committees of Staff and Elders- Gardening, Grant Writing, Neighborhood Development, Pet, and Welcoming Committee provide opportunities for team building and self-esteem.
- In-Room Activities- Spinoza Bear, Devotional, IN2L© computer programs, Current Events, Reality Orientation, Books-on-Tape, Sensory Motor Activities, Aromatherapy, and much more.
- Elders are enrolled in the MS State Library Commission’s Books on Tape Program.
- Family Counseling- We provide families with counseling during the life changes of loved ones free of charge.
- Provide opportunity for elders to serve in their community through missions and ministry such as: Haiti Relief Health Kits Assembly, Adoption of Angel Tree children, Operation Christmas Child, Food Drives, and fundraiser for those in needs.
- IN2L- It’s Never Too Late© – interactive touch-screen computer, which provides therapeutic activities, cognition exercises, and much entertainment with games, jukebox, classic television shows and much more!
1129 Langley Avenue
Jackson, MS 39204
Tonya Gillespie, NHA, CALA – CEO/Administrator
(601) 355-0617, ext. 303
Rocky Zachry, Director of Development
(601) 355-0617, ext. 303
Derby Patton, Director of Social Services
Deetra Prestwood, Director of Human Resources
Learn more about The Eden Alternative at www.edenalt.org